Tuesday, October 10, 2017

The Vinedresser

Something happened this week that I do not want to forget. It is also very exciting and I can’t withold how God showed up in a very personal way to me.

I teach a ladies Bible Study class every Sunday morning in between our morning services. It is a sweet opportunity the Lord has entrusted me with. When I study and when I speak, I want it to be the absolute best. Most of all...that everything I think, everything I do, everything that comes from my mouth, I want to be out of the way and just want the Lord’s spirit to fill me and be all about God and His glory. It is a humbling place to be and yet I want to do it heartily unto the Lord (Colossians 3:23).

With that being said, this past weekend, I had the opportunity to be a part of the Lifeway You Lead training for 2 days leading up the Living Proof Live with Beth Moore for 2 days.

I have a pretty full plate these days. My kids (all boys...ages 10, 11, and 12) do an online public school. It works for us...I am available to help, supplement Christian values and we are free to just leave town if we choose. However, it is a very busy season with them and with our church post where God has called us.

So, I knew I needed to have my lesson for Sunday prepared and ready so I could be available for the full weekend.  I didn’t want to be distracted and had been preparing my heart by asking the Lord to draw me in closer to Him. To show me new ways to disciple women and for me to grow in my own discipleship.

I worked and studied so hard, I loved my time preparing for my lesson that was to be taught on October 8, 2017. The Tuesday prior to this date, I had completed it and had a gorgeous PowerPoint to go alongside. (I use PowerPoint to help with those who take notes. It is the way I learn, therefore it is the way I teach.)

Wednesday morning, I decided to look over it one more time. My text was John 15 and my lesson was titled, “The Fruit of a Disciple”. I was going to make sure it flowed nicely and promised I wouldn’t look at it until Saturday when I returned home from the conference. As I opened it up, the screen began flashing and everything was deleteing before my eyes. History wouldn’t open it up...nothing I could do would get it back. It was gone...FOREVER!

I was super upset because I had studied so much and was so excited with so much I learned to share. I tried to recall it all and with my notes I took from my studies, tried to type it all up so I could work on it over the weekend like I said I wouldn’t.

That very night, I had a dream: Beth Moore asked me to make copies of her notes for the Living Proof Live event. I was looking at them in my dream and thought I may learn something by looking at how she writes her notes. As I am looking at the color coding of her notes, I see the title is “The Vinedresser” and the text she would be teaching was John 15. I decided to make a copy for me and quickly put it in my purse to have extra material for my class on Sunday. After all, mine had disappeared and now I was desperate. 

Thursday, as I was driving with my girlfriends to attend day 1 of training, I told them what happened and then how God must have something for me this week because at that point, I didn’t have much. I laughed and said, “Wouldn’t that be something if Beth Moore spoke on John 15 and the Vine and the branches?” And I’m not kidding, as I walked into the arena that night, I shared with another girlfriend who met us there and said the exact same thing.

Friday night, we walked into the Golden 1 Center in Sacramento and I saw the grapevines on the stage but didn’t think anything of it. Just thought it was gorgeous decorations. Now, this isn’t my first Beth Moore event. I should have known but God withheld that thought from me I believe to make Himself known more. There was a PowerPoint leading up to Beth taking the stage. The Scripture being shown was Isaiah 5:1-7 and then of John 15. I looked to my friend and asked, “John 15???” Sure enough, that was exactly what Beth was teaching on. I almost fell to me knees. I was in tears because God was so personal to me in that moment. Like He was saying, “I’ve got this...don’t fret. I have some more for you to learn before you can teach.”

I really want to share with you my notes from my lesson on Sunday. I think I will in another post. However, today...could you please pray for us. All of California is on fire but we are safe so far. Just very unhealthy air quality and ash all over our property.


No comments:

Post a Comment